Friday, September 09, 2011

Recipe Swap - Honey Mustard Salmon with Potatoes and Asparagus

Want to see what other Fish/Seafood recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Fish/Seafood Recipe Swap Roundup

The theme for this week's swap was Fish/Seafood. I don't cook a lot of fish so I was excited to get this recipe for Honey Mustard Salmon with Asparagus from Jenna at Jenna's Cooking Journey. I thought roasted potatoes would go beautifully with the salmon and asparagus so I added them to the recipe.


This was a gorgeous plate of food. SP took one look and whistled his approval, telling me he's happy we're on a restaurant hiatus since he loves the food I cook at home. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed myself. Our supermarket sells beautiful salmon already cut into fillets and vacuum-sealed, so this was a breeze to prepare. I also liked that everything cooks in the oven, aside from a few minutes on the stove-top to brown the salmon.

The glaze was delicious, but I agree with SP that it could use more Dijon to pack that flavor punch. I will definitely be making this one again. Thanks, Jenna!


Honey Mustard Salmon with Potatoes and Asparagus
Modified from Jenna's Cooking Journey

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 salmon fillets
1 lb potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or rosemary, finely chopped
1 bunch asparagus
Lemon juice
Grated Pecorino cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the butter and brown sugar in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds until they have melted together. Stir in the mustard, honey, and soy sauce.

Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add to the pan flesh side down. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until fully browned and flip. Brush with half of the glaze and place the pan in the oven until the salmon is firm and flaky (but before the white fat begins to form on the surface) about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place potatoes on one half of a large baking sheet, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and thyme or rosemary and roast 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, place asparagus on the other half of the baking sheet, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and return to oven to cook about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes and asparagus are both tender. Sprinkle asparagus with lemon juice and Pecorino before serving.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Amazing photos - great job :) This salmon looks SO yummy, going to try it next time I make my usual salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farrah - Thanks!

    Jill - Thanks for the photo compliment. Means a lot coming from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really sounds delicious. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some extra time to browse through your earlier posts. I am so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!