Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chocolate Crinkles

When I was a kid we would take frequent trips to a local orchard for pies, apples, donuts and cider. They also sold cookies and one of my favorites was the Chocolate Crinkle. I loved the rich, craggy, chocolate cookie dusted with confectioner's sugar, so when I saw this recipe for Chocolate Crinkle Cookies over at Ommy Noms I thought I'd give it a try.


You all know I'm not a baker, but the recipe was really simple and the results were delicious. I had my doubts, though. The mix looked more like cake batter than cookie dough, even after chilling for 4 hours. And the cookies didn't cook in the 10-12 minutes stated in the recipe, so I had to put them back in the oven. Thankfully, after they cooled the cookies crisped up and finally resembled the beloved chocolate crinkle from my childhood.

Note - This made a ton of cookies, and they were pretty large because I don't own cookie scoops, so I'd cut the recipe in half next time. They also didn't cook in 12 minutes so I upped the cook time to 15 to 18 minutes.

Chocolate Crinkles
Ommy Noms

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

In a medium bowl, mix together cocoa, white sugar, and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the cocoa mixture. Cover dough, and chill for at least 4 hours. The dough will resemble cake batter and remain sticky, even after chilling.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. I needed 4 cookie sheets total. Roll dough into one inch balls, using a number 50 size scoop if available. Coat each ball in confectioners' sugar before placing onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I make these every year, usually for Christmas, they are on my top 10 favorite cookie list :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!