Monday, September 12, 2011

Chicken Sriracha Stir Fry

As I've mentioned recently, we are on a restaurant hiatus right now. Eating out really adds up and we realized that the meals we were getting out were rarely worth the cost. SP is excited to get back in the kitchen so look for posts featuring his cooking soon.

Stir fry is something that has always intimidated me for some reason. I've tried it a handful of times and the flavors were never right. It's such a simple thing, but if the sauce isn't good then the whole dish flops. My friend Katie over at So Tasty, So Yummy had this Chicken Sriracha Stir Fry on her menu recently so I thought I'd give it a try since I trust her to make a good dish.


I really wish the photo was better but I lost daylight early because of the thunderstorms. This picture doesn't do the recipe justice. It was utterly delicious. SP and I both cleaned our plates and wished we didn't have to save the leftovers for lunch the next day. The Sriracha packs a spicy punch, but it isn't overwhelming at all. The good news is you can increase or decrease the amount in the sauce to suit your spice tolerance. One tablespoon was perfect for us.

I can't wait to make this a regular part of my menu rotation. SP said it was better than any Chinese take out we've ever gotten.

Chicken Sriracha Stir Fry
So Tasty, So Yummy

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces

Marinade for chicken:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon Sriracha

1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce

1 cup green beans, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, chopped

Transfer chicken to a plastic food storage bag. Add marinade ingredients and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch, water, Sriracha, soy sauce and oyster sauce.

In a wok heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat, add vegetables. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Remove to a plate.

Wipe wok out with wet paper towels. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. When hot, add ginger and garlic; after a few seconds, add chicken mixture. Stir-fry for 2 to 4 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Pour in the sauce. Stir until thickened. Return vegetables to the wok. Serve over rice.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. It is my favorite stir fry and I am thrilled you enjoyed it. I always find myself dousing take-out with Sriracha anyhow, it is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS better than the takeout. 10 points for home cooking. AGAIN. ;) Also, I agree the sriracha isn't overwhelming, not in the least. Thanks again for linking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I think it is now an absolute favorite in our house! :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!