Monday, August 08, 2011

Spice-Rubbed Chicken over Spaghetti with Salsa Verde Cream Sauce

As I was going through my recipes trying to decide what to make for the week I remembered that I had some salsa verde leftover after making these Baked Chicken Chimichangas. Cassie's recipe for Spice-Rubbed Chicken over Spaghetti with Salsa Verde Cream Sauce had sounded delicious when I first saw her post about it and I couldn't wait to make it.


As expected, it didn't disappoint. Like Cassie I really enjoyed the Mexican flavors of the salsa verde, sour cream and cilantro, but the spice rub for the chicken needed to be more pronounced. I've upped the amounts in the recipe below. I'm a sucker for anything in a cream sauce so this was right up my alley, although I just realized I never added the heavy cream (or in my case it would have been half-and-half). Since I didn't miss it I'm leaving it out of the recipe below as a way to save calories. Another winner, thanks to Cassie.

Spice-Rubbed Chicken over Spaghetti with Salsa Verde Cream Sauce
Slightly adapted from Cassie Craves

1 pound spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 finely chopped white onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup salsa verde
1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Set aside.

Place chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a small bowl, stirring to combine. Sprinkle over both sides of chicken, then rub. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, oven-safe pot over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes each side. Continue cooking another few minutes to make sure the chicken is completely cooked. Remove from pan and cover with foil until ready to serve.

In the now-empty skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking and stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add salsa, tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro, stirring to combine. Just before serving add cooled pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.

Cut chicken into slices. Spoon pasta into serving bowls and top with slices of chicken breast. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro, if desired.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Lovely photos too. Will be bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks absolutely beautiful! And you know, with the sour cream, I bet you wouldn't need the heavy cream. I'm leaving it out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this- I have some salsa verde in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!