Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Baked Chicken Chimichangas

After seeing this recipe for Baked Chicken Chimichangas in the Mexican recipe swap I knew I had to make it ASAP. I have a mild obsession with Mexican food and SP really likes chimichangas so I knew these would be a winner.


Because I didn't read the recipe completely before putting it on the menu I didn't realize until the morning I was prepping these that the chicken is supposed to be cooked in the crockpot. Oops. I ended up poaching the chicken then mixing it with the Rotel. For the original directions using the crockpot, head over to Katie's blog. SP couldn't find roasted tomatillos in the supermarket so he bought me a jar of salsa verde that seemed to work well, although I have nothing to compare it to. He also bought me smaller tortillas than the recipe calls for, so I ended up with 7 over-stuffed chimis. I gave two to my parents and froze two for later. These were really good, although SP wished I'd made beans and rice to go with them.

Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Modified from So Tasty, So Yummy

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 burrito (large) size tortillas
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
Sour cream, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, cilantro to garnish

Poach chicken. (I like to add cut up celery, onion and whole peppercorns to the poaching water). Combine Rotel, spices and cornstarch in a small bowl. Shred the chicken and mix with the Rotel and spices. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spary a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Combine the shredded chicken with the cheese. Lay out the tortillas and top each with 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Roll up the tortillas burrito style, tucking the ends in, and place them seam side down on the cookie sheet. Spray the top of the chimichangas with cooking spray.

Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with queso or Deluxe Tomatillo sauce. Garnish with sour cream, tomato, lettuce and cilantro.

Deluxe Tomatillo Sauce

1 can (28 ounces) tomatillos, drained or 1 jar Salsa Verde
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 cup sour cream

In a saucepan, combine tomatillos (or salsa), broth, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Return to heat, stir in the sour cream and cook 3 minutes more until heated through.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed it, I am sure the salsa verde worked great. I am going to try fresh tomatillos in it next time I make it after working with them in the recipe swap. It wasn't nearly as challenging as I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - I was thinking of trying the fresh tomatillos as well after you said you had success with them. I just need to make sure my husband can find them in the store first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah these look amazing!! Since I noticed you said you put two in the freezer, I will be promptly hoping on a plane and heading to your house for dinner :) Tell SP he'll have to fend for himself that night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaida - If you come to my house for dinner I'm coming to yours. You always make such great food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks AMAZING! Gonna add this to my list of "to makes" :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!