Monday, May 30, 2011

Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps

UPDATE JUNE 2017: Over the years I've made a few changes to this recipe so I figured it was time to update this post. I also realized that as much as I like the idea of lettuce wraps, they're super messy and hard to eat. I served a different lettuce wrap recipe as a salad recently so last night I decided to do the same with this recipe. So much easier and just as delicious.

Asian lettuce wrap salad

ORIGINAL POST: I'm trying to cook out of my comfort zone while also finding healthier recipes that are more suited to the summer heat.



These were delicious, with just a hint of spice from the Sriracha and a vibrant burst from the cilantro.

I had some chicken breasts in the freezer so I used my food processor to grind my own chicken. I made the filling in the morning after Baby Girl and SP left for the day. The smell was intoxicating and I couldn't wait for dinner. I subbed butter lettuce for iceburg and served the wraps with white rice and Asian-Style Broccoli. Because I'd used chicken instead of turkey the filling was a little dry, but that can easily be remedied by upping the amount of sauce ingredients.


I can't wait to make these again.

Spicy Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps

2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon chile garlic sauce (add more to taste)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
butter, iceberg or romaine lettuce, chopped
Sriracha sauce, optional

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook about 2 minutes, then add the ground turkey. Break it apart with the back of your spoon. While the turkey is browning, mix together the add soy sauce, chicken broth, oyster sauce, chile garlic sauce and cornstarch. Once the turkey starts to brown, add the sauce ingredients. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink and the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Off heat, add the cilantro and chopped water chestnuts. Stir to combine.

To serve, place some chopped lettuce on a plate or in a shallow bowl and top with some of the turkey mixture. Add Sriracha, if desired.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked them! Definitely use the water chestnuts next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ground your own. Heh. :D These look great! I think the water chestnuts would go well, too, but I really love those to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!