Thursday, January 20, 2022

Chicken, Shrimp, and Mixed Veggie Stir Fry

I made this amazing stir fry last night and had to document it for posterity (and easy sharing among friends). I don't make a lot of stir fries because Steve finds them to be one dimensional. This was anything but. The sauce was drinkably good.


I took the original recipe for Shrimp with Broccoli and turned it into a chicken, shrimp and mixed veggie stir fry, packing it with as many veggies as I could. I love the versatility and my family loved that I mixed chicken and shrimp. Ha! For some reason it never occurred to me that I could do that. What can I say, I'm a bit slow sometimes. 

Peanuts would be great on this, by the way. As I was eating it I kept thinking how much it reminded me of kung pao. If Katie wasn't allergic to nuts I would have rustled some up. 

Chicken, Shrimp, and Mixed Veggie Stir Fry
Sauce from Rachel Cooks

1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon chile garlic sauce, or more to taste

2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
1 medium onion, chunked
8 mushrooms, chunked
2 large/4 small carrots, peeled and chunked
2 ribs celery, chunked
1 red or green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chunked
salt and pepper, to taste
1-lb raw, peeled, deveined shrimp
1-lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed

Cooked rice or noodles, for serving

Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a 2-cup measuring cup. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add broccoli, onion, mushrooms, carrots, celery and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cook until veggies are crisp tender. Remove to a bowl.

Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the now-empty pan and add shrimp in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until just pink. Remove to another bowl.

Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to the pan. Cook, undisturbed, until brown on one side. Add veggies and sauce, then mix together and allow chicken to cook through and sauce to thicken, 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and water chestnuts and heat through.

Serve over rice or noodles.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!