Thursday, January 07, 2021

Chicken Parm Meatballs

I can't believe I made these Chicken Parm Meatballs months ago and never blogged them. They are utterly amazing and super easy.  Back when the pandemic began, I took a few cookbooks out of the library for inspiration. This was one of the recipes I flagged to make immediately. I even ground my own chicken since ground chicken was so hard to find.

To blog

I started making my own pizza sauce awhile ago, but canned sauce is fine. I'll put the recipe for the sauce below. It's simple to make big batches, portion them out and freeze for later.

Chicken Parm Meatballs
As seen on Dinner: A Love Story

1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup Pecorino (or Parm)
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 egg, whisked
zest of half a lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 14-ounce can storebought pizza sauce (such as Don Pepino’s)
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut in thin slices

Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and top with a sheet of parchment paper. 

In a large bowl, mix together ground chicken through lemon zest. Shape into balls (I like to use my ice cream scoop for this) and place a few inches from each other on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix one spoonful of pizza sauce with the olive oil. Brush some on each meatball. Bake for 15 minutes.

Remove meatballs from oven, spoon more sauce on top of each meatball, and cover each with a slice of cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.

Serve with remaining sauce on top with pasta and garlicky sauteed spinach on the side.

Homemade Pizza Sauce 

1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil/1 teaspoon dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside until ready to use. I recommend making a big batch using a 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes and freezing individual 1-cup portions. 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!