Friday, October 04, 2019

Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pasta

Hello there, friends! Long time no see. I'm sorry it's been so long since I posted a new recipe here on the ol' blog. Sadly, this space has become more of a recipe archive these last few years for a variety of reasons. But, for now, I'm back. I have a stockpile of photos and draft posts I never published so prepare yourselves for the onslaught.

We all love the iconic sausage, peppers and onions, so when I saw Nicole's recipe for Sweet Pepper Pasta with Sausage over on PreventionRD, I knew I could make it my own with a few tweaks. We loved this and I made it quite often this summer.

To blog

Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pasta
Modified from PreventionRD

1lb short-cut pasta (I used rotini)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
19.5 oz hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 lb multicolored sweet bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water.

While the pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up any big pieces, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced peppers and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar and garlic; cook 1 minute.

Add the cooked pasta and toss everything together. Stir in some of the cooking water, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth and coats the pasta. Stir in the oregano. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if needed.

Add in the grated cheese and basil and toss again. Serve.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!