Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Skillet Beans and Rice with Kielbasa

Before I tell you about this truly amazing, super simple one-pot meal I have exciting news! We're one month away (one month!!) from Daylight Savings Time. Gah! I can hardly stand it. I am so, so, so, so ready to be able to photograph meals in natural light again. So ready.

Ahem.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk about this Skillet Beans and Rice with Kielbasa. Lordy, was this GOOD. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. It's a pot of rice, beans and kielbasa; how exciting could it be? Boy was I wrong.

Skillet rice and beans with kielbasa

My mom's side of the family is Polish so I'm no stranger to kielbasa. We have it every year at Easter, but it's not a meat I usually cook on a weeknight. That will definitely change after this little beauty.

Unfortunately, my parsley went bad in the fridge but I didn't even miss it. I also subbed the 3 minced garlic cloves with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. It pains me to say it, but I just can't handle fresh garlic anymore. It started when I was pregnant - garlic gave me wicked heartburn. It's been 7 years and I still can't handle it. I've been leaving it out of recipes or subbing garlic powder when I can. Sigh.

Skillet Beans and Rice with Kielbasa
Ever so slightly modified from BellyFull

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 package (14 ounce) polska kielbasa, diced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 cup white rice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can (14 ounce) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet (make sure it has a lid) over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and onion. Sauté until the onions become soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the fat, about 1 minute.

Add the chicken broth, beans, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low so it stays at a simmer. Cook for 22 minutes, stirring occasionally so the rice doesn't stick.

Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!