Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Grilled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Brown Sugar Grilled Onions

From the moment Cassie posted these Grilled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Brown Sugar Grilled Onions on Instagram I fell in love. I hounded her to write up a blog post so I could make them and, happily, she obliged.

BBQ chicken sandwiches

I was finally able to put them on the menu recently and all I can say is wow. These are incredible. Absolutely delicious. The citrus from the orange juice really comes through and I love the tang of the BBQ sauce with the pickles and the sweet onions. Heaven.

The only change I made was to sub the Italian dressing in Cassie's recipe for olive oil and the seasonings that go into the dressing. We don't keep bottled Italian dressing on hand and since I had almost all the spices I needed I figured I'd just make my own marinade.

You have got to try these sandwiches. You won't be sorry. I'm already plotting when I can make them again.

Grilled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Brown Sugar Grilled Onions
As seen on Cassie Craves, spice mixture adapted from allrecipes

4 chicken breasts
olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
dash of seasoned salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 orange
2 teaspoons chili powder
BBQ sauce

1-2 large sweet Vidalia onions, sliced into thick rings
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

4 sandwich buns, cut in half
Butter
Sliced pickles
Mayonnaise

In a large food storage bag, combine the oil, seasonings, Worcestershire, orange juice, and chili powder. Add the chicken, close the bag, and toss to combine. Marinate overnight.

Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss together the onion rings, olive oil, brown sugar, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the onions and cook until they are tender and charred. Remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm.

Add the chicken to the grill. Cook chicken 5 minutes on one side, brush with BBQ sauce, then flip and cook 4 minutes. Brush the other side with BBQ sauce. With one minute left to cook, top each chicken breast with some of the cheese. Cover the grill pan with foil and let the cheese melt. Remove from the pan.

While the chicken is cooking, butter the cut side of the buns and toast them.

Serve each chicken breast topped with a pile of onions, some more BBQ sauce, pickles and mayonnaise.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!