Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Recipe Remake: Christmas Morning Strata

One Christmas when I was growing up my mom found this recipe for Christmas Morning strata and decided to make it for breakfast. We all loved it and it became our standard Christmas morning breakfast. She still makes it every Christmas for her and my stepdad. I tried to get SP and Baby Girl on board, but so far they just aren't fans. For SP it's a texture thing - he doesn't like the soggy bread - but I think it's possible Baby Girl will like it in the future.

Untitled

After not making it for a few years and having to beg a piece from my mom, I decided to just make my own batch this year and eat the leftovers the rest of the week. When I was looking back at blog posts I realized it had been awhile since I made this and the photo definitely needed to be updated.

Untitled

I really love this strata. It's simple and there aren't any crazy ingredients, but it's just so, so good. Hopefully Baby Girl will be won over and this can retake its rightful place on our Christmas morning table.

Christmas Morning Strata
Source Unknown

1 pound pork sausage
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
Butter
8 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
8-12 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups milk
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles. Stir in the mustard.

Grease an oval 2.5-quart baking dish with butter. Fit the bread in the dish, tearing the pieces as needed to cover the bottom and sides of the dish with bread. Add the sausage mixture and top with the cheese.

Combine the milk and remaining ingredients, then pour over the sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!