Monday, October 14, 2013

Crispy Baked Tilapia with Tangy Dill and Pickle Sauce

I don't know why but I've rarely cooked fish in the last few years. It wasn't until I was looking for a Mexican-themed recipe to remake that I stumbled upon fish tacos. SP bought me a 2-lb bag of tilapia so after making the tacos I still had four filets left to use. Then Ali posted this recipe for Crispy Baked Cod with Tangy Dill and Pickle Sauce and I couldn't wait to try it.

crispy fish

Since I had tilapia I subbed that for the cod. I also opted to pan fry the fish. Our new stove has an in-oven broiler but I haven't used it yet. I've always had ovens with broilers underneath, which means I've never broiled anything that doesn't fit into my toaster oven. I didn't want to experiment on this meal and who doesn't love fried food?

fish sandwich

The next day I took my leftover fish and sauce and made it into a delicious sandwich. When I told SP my plan he was a bit miffed not to have his own sandwich. I will definitely be making it this way next time. The sandwich was perfect.

fish sandwich2

I was holding my breath to see what Baby Girl would think of the fish but both times I made it she yummed it up. Score!

Crispy Baked Fish with Tangy Dill & Pickle Sauce
Modified from Sparks From the Kitchen

1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
1 cup panko
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup flour
2 4oz skin-less fresh cod (or tilapia) filets
vegetable oil
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
splash of pickle juice
1 teaspoon yellow mustard

Place egg and water in a shallow dish. In a second dish combine panko, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix to combine.

Place the flour in a plastic food storage bag, then add the fish filets. Seal the bag and toss to coat the fish evenly in the flour. Remove from the bag and dip each fillet in the egg and then roll in panko.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with about 1/2-inch of canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the fish. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 4 minutes, then flip (very carefully, the fish is flaky and may fall apart), and brown the other side. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off some of the oil.

While fish is cooking combine the mayo, pickle, pickle juice and mustard in a bowl. Stir and serve on the side with the fish.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love dill, this sauce sounds amazing, and so does the sandwich! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish with the dill sounds like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!