Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Mexican Eggs With Chorizo and Beans

I rarely make breakfast for dinner because we take leftovers for lunch and eggs don't reheat well. But when I saw this recipe for Mexican Eggs With Chorizo and Beans I wanted to try it, so I planned it for the night before SP had a working lunch.

mexican eggs2

This was a good dish that could be better with some tweaking. The texture of my eggs wasn't as creamy as the magazine's photo, which made me think there were too many chips in my eggs. I decreased the amount in the recipe below. SP couldn't find dried chorizo in our supermarket so I subbed regular chorizo. Unfortunately it got lost in the eggs, so I upped the amount to 2 links below. I also had to leave out the cilantro because I forgot to ask SP to buy a new bunch and the stuff in the fridge had gone bad.

I really did enjoy this dish, especially with the creamy avocado and sour cream mixed with the eggs. I added some diced tomato for color and freshness and it was great.

Mexican Eggs With Chorizo and Beans
Slightly modified from Food Network Magazine

2 links chorizo, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
1 14-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3 scallions, sliced
6 large eggs plus 2 egg whites
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup crushed baked tortilla chips
3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
1 small tomato, diced

Cook the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to sizzle, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and half of the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 4 minutes.

Whisk the whole eggs and egg whites with 1/4 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl; add to the skillet and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until just beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Add the chips, cheese, half of the cilantro, and the remaining scallions and continue cooking, stirring, until the eggs are just set, about 3 more minutes.

Divide the eggs among plates and top with the avocado, sour cream, tomato, and remaining cilantro.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of Eric's famous breakfasts that he loves to make for me, minus the beans. Glad to see that this is toddler-approved, Katie is becoming such a little foodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this recipe torn out of Food Network to make, this post may push me to actually make it! I love chorizo and eggs. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!