Monday, January 16, 2012

Orange and Rosemary Pork Tenderloin

I had a pack of two pork tenderloins in the freezer that I wanted to use up and no real recipe in mind. SP asked for something simple with bold flavors, preferably not Asian-inspired (i.e. no soy sauce, ginger, etc.) A quick Google search led me to Orange and Rosemary Pork Tenderloin. Sold!


I was in love with this recipe after I mixed up the marinade. It smelled absolutely intoxicating. I am so happy my rosemary plant is still doing well because fresh rosemary was wonderful in the marinade. After reading through the recipe I decided to modify the cooking method for the pork because (1) a quick sear always adds nice color and flavor and (2) I couldn't see the tenderloins cooking through after only 25 minutes in the oven.


The result was absolutely delicious. The pork had just a hint of pink in the middle and was moist, juicy and flavorful. And the sauce. Oh the sauce. The citrus burst with the touch of cream was perfect. Next time I'll double the marinade recipe (quantity changes reflected below) because I wished there was more sauce. I served the pork with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. The extra sauce would have been great over both, which is why there'll be more next time.

Orange and Rosemary Pork Tenderloin
Modified from Chocolate and Zucchini

1 pork tenderloin

For the marinade:
4 oranges, juiced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 rounded teaspoons honey
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For finishing:
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt
A handful parsley, coarsely chopped

Cut the tenderloins in 3 or 4 equal portions and place them in a plastic food storage bag. Whisk together the marinade ingredients and pour them over the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Remove the pork from the fridge and pour the marinade into a small saucepan.

Heat a cast-iron or other heavy bottomed, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place the pork pieces into the skillet and sear on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Put the skillet in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, until cooked through but not dried out (the meat should be pale pink in the center; if using a meat thermometer, the recommended safe internal temperature is 160°F), flipping the meat a couple of times during the roasting.

While the meat is roasting, put the saucepan with the remaining marinade over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Keep boiling, uncovered, stirring regularly, until the marinade has reduced. Add in the cream, salt and parsley. Stir, and keep warm over low heat.

When the meat is ready, remove the skillet from the oven, and transfer the meat to a cutting board. If there are any juices in the skillet add them to the sauce and bring back to a boil. Cut the meat pieces into thick slices and serve with the sauce.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks delicious. Rosemary is the only plant I can't kill. :) yay for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it winters over. I'm guessing it'll stop producing during the frost and I'll lose what I have out there (note to self, go harvest the rosemary).

      Delete
  2. The sauce sounds delicious! Fresh rosemary is great to cook with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how well rosemary and orange are supposed to go with pork and tried to do my own sauce with pork tenderloin about a year ago. It didn't work very well, so I kind of dropped the idea. I'll definitely - seriously - give it another try with this recipe. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will NOT be disappointed. Definitely use the double recipe for the sauce - it's the best part. :)

      Delete
  4. What a delicious way to serve pork~ this will be on my meal plan in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you guys eat a lot of pork and I think you'll love this one.

      Delete
  5. WOW! That looks and sounds fabulous! ::bookmarked::

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does indeed look amazing! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved this! Thank you for sharing and raving about it so much!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!