Monday, March 03, 2014

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Slaw

Sometimes I'll put a dish on our weekly meal plan that makes SP nervous. He's always game to try anything I make and he's the first to say, "I trust you because you're a good cook" but we all know that sometimes a recipe can sound good on paper but not taste so great in person.

Untitled

These Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Slaw were one of those dishes that initially made him wary. When I told him the name of the dish he gave me that side-eye look of his that lets me know he's reserving judgement. I think it was the corn tortillas - neither of us are big fans of corn tortillas, but I knew frying them in a bit of oil would completely change their texture for the better.

Untitled

I'm happy to report that he loved these tacos, as did I. Baby Girl was also a huge fan. Per usual, she wanted to taste the black bean mixture and snacked on the broccoli slaw as I was getting everything prepped. Like Elly says, these are an awesome weeknight meal because there's very little prep work or cooking needed. I'm so happy SP loved this dish because I can't wait to make it again.

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Slaw
As seen on Elly Says Opa, from Bon Appetit
Makes 8 tacos

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw mix
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
vegetable or canola oil
8 white or yellow corn tortillas
crumbled feta cheese
Bottled hot sauce for serving

Place the beans, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and partially mash.

In another bowl, toss the broccoli slaw mix with olive oil, lime juice, scallions and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Heat about 3 teaspoons of the vegetable or canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add as many tortillas as you can fit in a single layer. Move the tortillas around in the pan so they're all evenly coated with oil on both sides. After one side is golden brown, flip the tortillas over and spoon some of the bean mixture onto one half of each tortilla. Cook for about 1 minute. Fold the tacos in half and cook until golden brown and crispy, 1-2 minutes per side.

Remove the tacos to a paper towel-lined plate and drain off any excess oil. Open the tortilla and stuff with some of the slaw and crumbled feta. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas, adding more oil to the pan, as needed. Top with hot sauce, if desired, before serving.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked these as much as we do. They are so easy, it's hard not eating them all the time. :) I prefer them with the broccoli slaw, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I seriously need to try these. They look amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love broccoli slaw! Those sound fabulous, too! P~

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!