Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Grasshopper Mint Brownie Bars

I love brownies, I love mint and I wanted to make something fun (and green) with Baby Girl for St. Patrick's Day, so I turned to this recipe for Grasshopper Mint Brownie Bars, which I had drooled over when I saw them in my Google Reader. I've been wanting to make something like this for awhile (the cream cheese layer and the frosting on top sounded utterly divine), so I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it looked.

grasshopper brownies

These are insanely good and insanely rich. Baby Girl and I had a ton of fun making them, especially the green cream cheese layer, and she was a big fan of the finished product. I thought I was going to end up in a sugar coma after eating one bar, but man was it good. Like dream about it the next day good.

In the interest of our waistlines I sent most of the bars to work with SP where I'm told they were a BIG hit. One of his coworkers was rendered speechless and another referred to them as the baking equivalent of crack cocaine. If that isn't a stellar review I don't know what is. I froze about 3 1/2 bars and I'm hoping the cream cheese layer survives the freeze because I can't wait to have another one of these in a few weeks.

Grasshopper Mint Brownie Bars
As Seen on Stick a Fork In It, originally from Pillsbury
Yields: 24 bars

1 family size brownie mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon mint extract
Green food coloring (optional)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter

Prepare the brownies according to the package instructions, then cool completely.

Meanwhile, beat the 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, mint extract and green food coloring, if using. Spread evenly over the cooled brownies.

Place the 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave again for 10-15 seconds as needed until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth. Pour evenly over the filling, and gently spread to cover.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These definitely do sound addicting! I love the chocolate and mint combo!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!