Monday, September 17, 2012

Philly Cheesesteaks for Jey's Virtual Baby Shower

Another one of my dear friends, Jey from The Jey of Cooking, is expecting a baby girl in October, right around Baby Girl's birthday, actually. You might remember her as one of my guest posters for my sixth blogiversary. We met on my cooking board and someday we'll actually meet in person on one of our family trips to Chicago.

In the meantime, a group of us got together to celebrate Jey's impending arrival with a baby shower. But not just any baby shower, an All-Star Virtual Baby Shower. The World Series is scheduled around the time Jey is due (October 17th) and since she and her family are such avid Cubs fan, a baseball theme was the perfect idea for her. Everyone was asked to make some sort of ballpark favorite like a jazzed up hot dog, home-run hamburger, peanut-packed dessert or anything inspired by common ballpark fare.


Being from the Philly area and growing up eating lots of cheesesteaks they seemed like a natural choice for me. I toyed with the idea of doing a chicken cheesesteak to be a bit healthier but in the end I settled for a good old beefy cheesesteak. While I love a good cheesesteak with lots of caramelized onions, these days I'm partial to the cheesesteak hoagie, which adds mayo, oil and vinegar with lots of spices, lettuce, tomato and sliced raw onion (which I didn't use since I wanted the caramelized onions in the beef) to the beef and cheese. I decided to tackle the cheesesteak hoagie for Jey's shower and I'm happy to report that they were sensational. A real home run.


I started with Katie's recipe for Cheesesteaks and then modified it, swapping the green pepper for caramelized onion and adding the necessary ingredients to make it into a hoagie. Aside from the steak being in larger pieces than we're used to (most cheesesteak meat around here in more thinly shredded, something I'm trying to figure out how to replicate at home) these were spot on. Absolutely delicious, just like the cheesesteak hoagie from my favorite local spot (shhh...I may or may not admit to getting a cheesesteak hoagie and fries for dinner every Friday before hitting the grocery store. At least I always bring half the sandwich home for lunch, right?)


If you're looking for a true taste of Philly, try this recipe. I can't wait to make these again the next time we have a craving.

Be sure to stop over to Jey's blog to wish her well, and check out Joelen's blog for a roundup of all the delicious dishes prepared for the virtual shower.

Cheesesteaks
Inspired by So Tasty So Yummy

4 hoagie rolls
1 pound NY Strip steak
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
12 slices provolone or American cheese

Slice the hoagie rolls in half. Wrap in foil and warm through in a 350-degree oven.

Place the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove the steak and slice into 1/4” strips.

In a sauté pan, heat the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender. This should take about 30 minutes. Either cover the pan to trap some moisture or add a splash of water as needed to keep the onions cooking evenly. Once the onions are done to your liking, push them to one side. Add the steak slices and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste, then toss with the onions.

Place 3 slices of cheese in the center of each hoagie roll, overlapping slightly. Divide the steak into four equal portions and place on the rolls. The heat from the steak will melt the cheese.

To turn into a cheesesteak hoagie: Slice 1 Romaine heart into thin strips. Slice 1 tomato in half, then into slices. Mix 1/4 cup mayo with some red wine vinegar and a dash of dried Italian seasoning, to taste. Before adding the cheese to the bread, spread some of the mayo mixture on the bread. Add the cheese and meat as stated above. Stuff the lettuce and tomato into the sandwich on either side of the meat.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm from Philly too and an absolute cheesesteak snob. And these definitely pass the test! They look fab! Great contribution, I'd eat these at any party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My love for Philly cheesesteaks was inspired by your sloppy joes so this seems so fitting!

    Thanks for participating in my shower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a king of prussia girl, so I know all about the philly cheesesteak! Now that I live in NYC, I'm glad to have a recipe for whenever I get the craving :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!