Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Artichoke and Salami Sandwiches


Working from home has some challenges I never expected, like the temptation to go out for lunch. When I worked in an office I rarely bought lunch. At my last job there simply wasn't anywhere to go except a dirty deli next door that always seemed to make me sick when I ate there. But even if there had been options I preferred to save my money. Now that I'm home, with a fully stocked pantry and refrigerator at my disposal, the urge to go out is powerful. I usually feel the pull on Fridays when I know the local farmers market is open and my favorite falafel stand is calling my name.


Last Friday I found myself starving at 11:30am without any leftovers for lunch. That's usually when I grab my keys and head out the door, but that day I decided to get creative. I knew we had leftover salami and artichokes from the antipasti pasta salad. A quick Google search lead me to this Artichoke and Salami Sandwich. I was sold when I saw the artichoke and basil spread and, as luck would have it, I had every ingredient listed in my pantry, on my patio or in my fridge.

I can't say enough good things about this sandwich. In fact, I might need to keep salami and provolone on hand so I can make it whenever I have a craving. The artichoke spread is addictive for anyone who, like me, has an artichoke obsession. I left out the red pepper flakes because I didn't want the heat but I'm sure it would go well with the tang from the lemon and the earthiness of the basil. Slathered on toasted bread, it becomes a great glue for the cheese, meat and spinach.

This is a simple sandwich that feels like something you'd order in a gourmet sandwich shop. A perfect, light lunch.

Artichoke and Salami Sandwiches
As seen on Serious Eats
Serves 4

For the Artichoke-Basil Spread
One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper

For the Sandwiches
8 thick slices country bread
4 ounces fontina or provolone cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 bunch spinach, stems trimmed
4 ounces hard salami, thinly sliced

For the artichoke-basil spread: Add the artichoke hearts, basil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

For the sandwiches: Top each slice of bread with some of the artichoke-basil spread. On half of the slices, add a quarter of the cheese, spinach, and salami. Top each with a remaining slice of bread, spread side down. Serve.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious sandwich -- you had me at the artichoke spread! I will definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the ingredients on the shopping list for next week so I can make it again. Delicious!

      Delete
  2. This will be a dinner staple in my house.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!