Friday, June 01, 2012

Recipe Swap: Spicy Thai Noodles


The theme for this recipe swap is Noodles. The recipe could be any cuisine as long as it included noodles. I was excited when I got Nichole's recipe for Spicy Thai Noodles. I'm trying to incorporate more veggies into my diet and these noodles are the perfect canvas for any veggies you need to use up.

I planned this meal for when SP was going to be out, since it doesn't include meat and I didn't want to add any, so I cut it in half. It made two perfect portions, but I did think the lack of meat made it less filling. Some egg rolls or wontons would go great with these noodles.


I added sliced onion to the veggies and subbed Sriracha for the red pepper flakes since I thought the garlic in the sauce would go well. I also realized as I was getting ready to cook that I didn't have any peanuts in the house. We think Baby Girl might have a peanut allergy so even though I keep peanut butter on hand I don't buy peanuts. The crunch and flavor would go really well, so don't leave them out.

Spicy Thai Noodles
Slightly Modified from The Cookaholic Wife

1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
10-12 asparagus spears, stems removed
1/2 cup matchstick carrots
1/2 onion, sliced
1/4 cup peanuts
1/2 lb thin spaghetti
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2-1 teaspoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Green onions, for garnish

Heat the sesame oil and vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, onions and peanuts. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the honey and soy sauce then add the Sriracha.

When the noodles are done, add them to the bowl with the honey and soy sauce and toss to coat. Add the vegetables to the bowl and toss to coat. Serve in bowls garnished with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. This is going on my "must make" list!! Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! Thanks for organizing this fun swap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so outrageously delicious, although my husband wouldn't eat the asparagus and my kids would probably think it's too spicy... more for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually on the sweet side if you don't add the sriracha. :)

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous picture! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! I'd have to take out the peanuts but I don't think it would change the final product much.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!