Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches

I love the combination of chicken and pineapple. I first had it in this summer staple, Pineapple Chicken Salad, and then these delicious Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas. These Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches received rave reviews on my cooking board, so I knew I had to make them.

Hawaiian chicken sandwiches

All I can say is wow. No wonder these were a favorite in Katie's house growing up. They couldn't be simpler yet the flavor is outstanding. Marinating the chicken overnight imparts such great flavor, so don't skip that step. Unfortunately we were out of charcoal so I had to cook these inside on the stovetop. I think the smokiness from the grill would only enhance the flavor. These are definitely a winner. I even strong-armed SP into sharing a second sandwich with me. I couldn't stop thinking about them and almost cried when SP inadvertently took the only leftover sandwich to work the next day. I guess I'll just have to make them again next week.

The only change I made was to add a smear of mayo to the top and bottom buns. I loved the way the marinade on the chicken and the juice from the pineapple mixed with the mayo. I also doubled the recipe so we'd have leftovers for lunch (although obviously not enough leftovers). If you like chicken and pineapple you NEED to make this. Thanks for an amazing recipe, Katie!

Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
As Seen on So Tasty, So Yummy

2 large boneless skinless breast of chicken
1 large can pineapple rings (8 rings)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 slices provolone cheese
4 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls
A smear of mayo

Pound out the chicken breasts and slice each into two pieces. Combine the juice from the pineapple can, soy sauce, brown sugar and mustard. Marinate the chicken overnight in the the juice mixture.

Prepare your grill. Grill the chicken for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Add the cheese with 3 minutes left. While the chicken is grilling, add the pineapple rings halfway through, turning once. Smear some mayo on the buns, then top with a piece of chicken and two pineapple rings each.
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Yum! My husband and I love these sandwiches. I love how easy they are and how good they taste. Even though I just made them this week, I could totally go for another one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good! I have them on the menu for next week because I just can't get enough. So simple, too.

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! I'm thinking they might need to go on next week's menu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those do look absolutely wonderful. Seriously.

    And a footnote to our conversation the other day: who knows what Steve would be willing to eat these days? He told me last night he would have eaten the black bean burgers for dinner had I not given most of them away. O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best picture but the sandwiches themselves...oh the flavor. :) Too funny that he says now he would have eaten the black bean burgers. Did you like them?

      Delete
    2. I did!! I finally had one on Saturday with my big lunch salad and it was delicious. :) My sister and her husband had them on Thursday, hers with avocado and tomato, his with habanero hot sauce and cheese and they both loved their dinner. My mom ate both of hers already, too. Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
    3. I think I need to try them with avocado and tomato. That sounds delicious!

      Delete
  4. So glad you enjoyed the sandwiches! For whatever reason, canned pineapple is nostalgic for me. Next time try them on the grill for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great recipe! I see these being a family favorite in our house for many, many years.

      Delete
  5. Yum! I saw these on Katie's blog too and bookmarked them...but now I am really sold-I'm putting them on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made something similar and it was AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...what was it? I'll have to look through your blog.

      Delete
  7. This is a very nice chicken dish. Would you be happy to link it in to my Chicken Edition of Food on Friday? This is the link

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!