Monday, June 18, 2012

Easy Mixed Greens Salad


I get bored with salads. I know I need to eat more salad and it's a great side dish, but it needs to be interesting in order to keep my attention. Enter this Easy Mixed Greens Salad, originally made with arugula (which I'm sure would also be delicious). Pine nuts are my new favorite salad ingredient after they made an appearance in my all-time favorite salad, the Bacon, Egg and Asparagus Salad, so as soon as I saw these on the ingredient list I knew I'd love this salad. Add two more of my favorite things - tomato and avocado - and I'm sold.


SP wasn't a fan of this salad, although he did eat the bowl I served him. He likes plainer salads, so I need to find a happy medium. I loved this, as I knew I would, and can't wait to make it again. It went very well with the Chicken and Basil Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes.

Easy Mixed Greens Salad
Slightly Modified from The Keenan Cookbook

4 cups mixed greens
1 cup cherry or grapes tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 large avocado - peeled, pitted and diced

In a large bowl combine greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, oil, vinegar, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix. Divide salad onto plates, and top with diced avocado.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. When I try fancier salads, my husband always asks why I deviated from the normal tomatoes, cheese, and croutons. :) This sounds great though. I just found pine nuts in Wyoming yesterday, so I may have to try them in a salad now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pine nuts are great with salads, pastas and as a great delicious garnish on a variety of dishes.

    I discovered them a long while ago at a hummus place. Pine nuts are a popular topping in the Mid East, and apart from hummus they were also used at that place for stuffing of meats.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!