Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Buttermilk Mac and Cheese

If you've been reading this blog for a long time you might remember my quest to find the perfect mac and cheese recipe. This was years ago and I was on the hunt for a recipe that reminded me of the mac and cheese they served at my college. It was so creamy and cheesy that I would stalk the online menu to see when it would be making an appearance in the dining hall. After many failed attempts to recreate it I finally found my perfect mac and cheese. I use this recipe 9 out of 10 times I make mac and cheese. But every once in awhile I like to try something new, just for variety. Enter this recipe for Buttermilk Mac and Cheese from Cassie.


I've never made a mac and cheese with eggs before, so right off the bat I was pretty skeptical. The preparation reminded me of making a strata or make-ahead breakfast casserole and the end result had a similar texture, with a consistency like cottage cheese instead of being smooth and creamy. SP was initially skeptical as well but went back for seconds, as did I. While it certainly tasted good and couldn't have been easier to make, I think I'll stick with my tried-and-true version. I just love that smooth, creamy, cheesy sauce.

Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese
Cassie Craves

6 eggs
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Colby cheese
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, buttermilk, butter, salt and pepper. Add macaroni; toss to coat.

Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't think the texture of this particular mac and cheese is for everyone. I'm glad you both liked it, though, in spite of that! I'm going to have to try your tried-and-true mac and cheese recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recipes here, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the Alton Brown Stove-top Mac & Cheese, which I think is great. The main difference I think is that his recipe uses 2 eggs instead of 6. The rest of the ingredients are pretty similar. I can see how this one may be a little too eggy. Still looks great though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie - Definitely try it sometime. It's cheesy and delicious. :)

    Jennifurla - Welcome!

    Melissa - Thanks for pointing me in Alton's direction. I haven't seen that recipe before but I printed it out to try.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!