Monday, October 31, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Angie's Chipotle Shredded Chicken Tacos

This is my first time participating in the Secret Recipe Club, a large-scale version of the recipe swaps I do on my cooking board, only instead of being assigned a single recipe you are assigned a blog and asked to pick a recipe, make it and then blog about it on a specific day.

I was assigned Farmgirl Gourmet, written by Heather, a mom of two who loves cooking and lives on 20 acres with 8 goats and 15 chickens. Her blog is full of gorgeous food and recipes, most of which she either grows herself or sources locally. Check it out for more delicious recipes.

I chose her recipe for Angie's Chipotle Shredded Chicken Tacos, partly because I wanted to try an experiment with my crock pot and partly because it looked delicious. We love tacos but I rarely make them so this was a great excuse.


Even though I don't usually cook with chicken thighs I decided to stick to the original recipe. I'm glad I did - the thighs were deliciously tender from the slow cooking. I served the tacos with a lot of toppings:


We really enjoyed this recipe and I had a lot of fun browsing through Farmgirl Gourmet for inspiration. I'm writing this post about 3 weeks after I made the chicken tacos and there are a bunch of new recipes on the blog that sound good. Enjoy!

Angie's Chipotle Shredded Chicken Tacos
Farmgirl Gourmet

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup salsa
2 tablespoons canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, sliced
1 tablespoon chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
Warm tortillas
Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, lime quarters, sour cream, lettuce, guacamole, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, salsa

In a slow cooker, combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chipotle chilies, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt to taste. Add a 1/4 cup of water if the mixture looks too dry. Cover; cook on low for 8 hours.

Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, shred with 2 forks. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Spoon onto warm tortillas and add toppings.

Kitchen Tip: If your slow cooker is on the larger size (6-quarts or larger) you may have issues with recipes burning. Most slow cooker recipes seem to be for 4-quart cookers. To make the space smaller, put a Pyrex or Corningware dish into the slow cooker and put the ingredients inside the dish.





Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, I don't have enough recipes on my blog in order to do the Secret Recipe Club. Sounds like fun. This recipe sounds great and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a meal my family would absolutely adore! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Great work!! Thanks for the sweet comments about Farmgirl Gourmet. :) This has been a fun experience and a great way to check out a food blog you may or may not know about. I'm a new fan of your site!!! :)

    Happy Halloween!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! I love crockpot meals especially during busy fall sports!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great SRC club recipe and welcome to the club.


    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' & 'C' SRC recipes this month: Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies and Thin Mint Irish Coffee.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. your kitchen tip is genius! Great idea for the slow cooker size. I am going to keep that in mind for future recipes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm from Group C but I'm an honorary Group D member this week, welcome to SRC. What a great tip for the crock pot, I never thought about it! Yummy Tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds yumm! Glad to have found you through SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious ! I have to find myself a crocked pot after all the rave stuff I have been seeing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fantastic. I am loving the corningware crockpot trick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chipotle. Love chicken thighs. Love tacos.

    guess if I'm making this recipe soon?

    ;-)

    Nice to meet you - virtually at least, through the SRC. My first time this month, so glad to participate, it's been fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these look absolutely delicious, what a great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great! Thanks for the tip about the smaller pan in the slow cooker, too.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!