Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chickpea Dip (Hummus)

A few weekends ago I went to my friend Mary Ellen's house for a lunch play date. Our girls are 9 months apart in age and seeing them play together was a lot of fun. Baby Girl loves to take care of younger kids so she was bringing Mary Ellen's daughter toys, her sippy cup and helping her eat. Too cute.

One of the things Mary Ellen prepared for lunch was Chickpea Dip (Hummus). Hummus purists might balk at the lack of tahini in the recipe, which is why I renamed it Chickpea Dip, but it was still delicious. She served it with cucumber sticks and pita chips and I totally gorged myself. And Baby Girl kept asking for more hummus, which made me very happy.


I had a can of chickpeas in my pantry so I decided to whip up my own batch for snacking during the week. I love recipes that use ingredients I always keep on hand and involve dumping everything into a food processor and pulsing together. I had a nice little snack on a Sunday afternoon while I cooked dinner. Thanks for an awesome recipe, Mary Ellen!

Chickpea Dip (Hummus)
Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 clove garlic
Salt to taste
Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into sticks
Pita chips

Rinse the beans then put them in a bowl of cold water. After 10 minutes or so, run your hands through them to remove the clear-shells from the beans. This step isn't necessary but it helps with the creamy consistency. Drain.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor; blend until creamy
Chill before serving with cucumber and pita chips.

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so easy and delish! I would love to maybe roast some zucchini and garlic then add it to the dip for a different flavor. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!