Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Spaghetti with Summer Vegetable Sauce

My basil plant went crazy a few weeks ago so I decided to make pesto and freeze it. When I was trying to come up with a meal plan for the week I saw this recipe for Spaghetti with Summer Vegetable Sauce and remembered the pesto. Done and done.


Even though the recipe calls for large zucchini and summer squash, I felt there was too much of each and not enough tomato. Next time I'll use smaller squash and up the tomatoes. Also, I hate when tomato skin loosens from the flesh so I tossed the tomatoes in at the end, along with the pesto.

All in all this was a delicious and easy meal. Even SP, a spaghetti hater (I don't know what's wrong with him), cleaned his plate.

Spaghetti with Summer Vegetable Sauce
Very slightly modified from Cooks Country, August/September 2011

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, diced
1 small summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt and pepper
1 pound spaghetti
6 tablespoons basil pesto
12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
Grated cheese

Bring water and some salt to in a boil in a large pot. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water and drain pasta. Return to the pot.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about five minutes. Stir in squash and zucchini and stir until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until liquid is reduced, about 2 minutes.

Toss vegetables, tomatoes and pesto with pasta, adding reserved pasta water to thin the sauce as needed Serve with grated cheese.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful dish! I am so into CI/ATK/CC these days!

    "Even SP, a spaghetti hater (I don't know what's wrong with him)"

    I laughed out loud at that. I say that about Steve with certain things sometimes. I don't know what's wrong with that boy...

    Also, agreed about the tomatoes. If I put tomatoes with skins sliding off into a dish, Steve loathes it. I ain't too fond of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You? In to CI/ATK/CC? I'm shocked. ;)

    I don't understand how you can dislike a shape of pasta. How is that even possible?

    Ick...loose tomato skin makes me gag. Literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous, and I will be trying it. For sure.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!