Friday, July 15, 2011

Recipe Swap - Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting

Want to see what other Dessert recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Dessert Recipe Swap Roundup

This week's recipe swap theme was dessert. I've been avoiding this one for a long time because, as many of you know, I'm not a baker. I don't particularly enjoy baking and I certainly don't like having the sweet stuff around the house to tempt me. But dessert is a popular thing on my cooking board and I knew I'd have to cave eventually. There were a lot of excellent recipes submitted for this swap so if you aren't like me and actually enjoy baking, you're going to want to check this one out.


Luckily I ended up with my friend Jaida's recipe for Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting. Cake is my one weakness when it comes to dessert. Ice cream, cookies, chocolate bars, etc. I can take or leave but I'm powerless when it comes to cake.


In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't make the frosting on these cupcakes. We were out of town the weekend I made these and I simply ran out of time. I do plan to make it someday, though, since Jaida assures me it's amazing and worth the time and effort.



Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting
Sweet Beginnings
Makes 30 cupcakes

Note: If you can't find cake flour use this easy method - to make 2 cups cake flour, combine 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch.

3 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour, divided
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 stick plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
5 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Line muffin tins with paper liners (recipe makes approx. 30 cupcakes). Whisk together 3 1/4 cups cake flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl combine the milk and vanilla.

With a mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter until smooth, and then add the sugar in a steady stream until pale and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of the milk mixture, beating until combined after each addition.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. You can also do this by hand with a whisk, which is what I did. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten. Gently fold the remaining egg whites until just combined. Toss chocolate chips with remaining tablespoon cake flour and gently fold into batter.

Divide the batter evenly among the lined cups, about 3/4 full. Bake about 22 minutes for standard size, 12 minutes for miniature, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool before removing cupcakes and cooling to room temperature.

Dark Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 lbs semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until cocoa is dissolved. With a mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add the melted, cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the cocoa mixture. Frost cooled cupcakes with a frosting spatula.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog...EVERYTHING looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - I have a weakness for vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.

    Mrs.Pickles - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!