Monday, January 28, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara with Tomatoes

I'm always looking for new ways to modify my favorite pasta dish, Spaghetti Carbonara. I've made multiple versions with different add-ins like asparagus and corn, but I hadn't considered tomatoes until Katie posted a recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara with Tomatoes. Brilliant!

carbonara

While Baby Girl and I love spaghetti carbonara it has two strikes against it as far as SP is concerned - the spaghetti (he doesn't like it for some bizarre reason) and no real sauce. Imagine my surprise when he told me how much he loved this version. I was shocked to say the least. He did ask me to make this version with a tubular pasta next time, though. Poor Baby Girl will be so disappointed - she positively loves her pesketi.

Spaghetti Carbonara with Tomatoes
Modified from Nigella Lawson and So Tasty, So Yummy

1 pound spaghetti
6 slices bacon (or as much as you like), chopped
2 large onions, sliced
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly ground nutmeg

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

In a large skillet that will fit the pasta later, cook the bacon until crispy but not crunchy. Add the onions and cook until softened and starting to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for a minute, then add the white wine or vermouth and let it bubble so that, after a few minutes, you have a small amount of thick syrup left.

In a bowl, beat together the eggs, Parmesan, cream, pepper and nutmeg.

Add the pasta to the pan with the bacon, tossing well to coat with the syrupy sauce. Take the pan off the heat (remove from the stove completely, don't just turn off the burner) and add the eggs and cheese mixture, swiftly tossing everything to mix. Thin with pasta water, if needed. Grind over some more pepper and grated cheese, if desired. Serve.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I have you to thank for turning me on to Carbonara...it is SO amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I had no idea I'd turned you on to the deliciousness of carbonara. :) That makes me happy.

      Delete
    2. http://sotastysoyummy.blogspot.com/2012/08/spaghetti-carbonara-with-corn-and.html

      It was all you!

      Delete
    3. Ha! I even commented on that post saying how happy I was you had finally tried it. My memory isn't so great. :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh I love carbonara. It is SO simple and yet so delicious! I tried it once with some lemon zest and it Was quite amazing! Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I can't wait to make this for dinner tomorrow night. Man does it look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!