Monday, January 21, 2013

Chicken with Prosciutto, Brie, and Arugula

While making this week's meal plan I realized I had chicken in the freezer, a box of arugula in the crisper quickly going bad, and half a wheel of Brie. I'd had my eye on this recipe for Chicken with Prosciutto, Brie, and Arugula ever since Jaida posted it, so this seemed like the perfect time to make it.

chickenbrie3

This isn't a complicated recipe but I was happy I chose to make it on a weekend instead of a weeknight. I always get flustered breading and frying chicken so I prefer to take my time and do it right rather than rushing. As you can see, patience is a virtue and I got a nice, crispy crust on the cutlets. Delicious.

chickenbrie

The slightly-melted Brie and prosciutto combined with the tang from the arugula dressing was divine. This will definitely be going on my 2013 roundup at the end of this year. I was peeved at myself for only making two chicken breasts (and one was so teeny tiny it barely counts as a full breast). SP was also peeved - he ate both his pieces for dinner so he didn't get any leftovers for lunch. I cut Baby Girl's chicken into nuggets, which she devoured along with the crispy potato wedges I served alongside.

Chicken Cutlets with Prosciutto, Brie, and Arugula
Bobby Flay, as seen on Sweet Beginnings

Arugula Salad
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb baby arugula, rinsed and spun dry

Chicken
1 cup flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 lb Brie, rind removed, sliced
8 thin slices Virginia ham or prosciutto

Prepare Arugula Salad: In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified. Add the arugula and toss to coat the leaves with the vinaigrette. Set aside while you prepare the chicken.

Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate shallow bowls and season each with salt and pepper. Place a wire baking rack over a baking sheet; set aside.

Place each chicken breast between two pieces of waxed paper (or a freezer-style plastic bag) and pound to 1/4-inch thickness. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, and dredge each breast in the flour; tap off excess. Dip into the egg wash and let excess drip off, and then dredge on both side in the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking rack set over a baking sheet.

Preheat two large nonstick sauté pans over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil to each pan and heat until the butter is melted and sizzling. Place 2 breasts in each pan and cook until golden brown on the first side, using tongs flip over and continue cooking until golden brown on the second side and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes total.

Remove to a plate and immediately top each breast with a few slices of Brie, then top with a few slices of prosciutto and some of the arugula salad. Serve immediately.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I somehow missed when Jaida posted this, but it looks like an excellent way to get more greens into our winter meal plan. Also, I really love your first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I'm not the world's biggest brie fan (weird, I know) but I'm totally going to try a variation of these soon. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for a celebrity swap one time - SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!