Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Chicken Stroganoff

As much as I love traditional beef stroganoff, we've been trying to cut down on the amount of beef we eat. I saw this recipe for Chicken Stroganoff in the latest issue of Food Network Magazine and thought I'd give it a try.

photo (34)
I subbed chicken breasts for the thighs because I already had them in the freezer. I also upped the amount of chicken broth to make more sauce. For some reason this was a little salty, but still yummy. I think it was a little too saucy so I left the chicken broth as 1 cup (the original amount) in the ingredient list below.

Chicken Stroganoff
As seen in Food Network Magazine, October 2012

Kosher salt
12 ounces wide egg noodles
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
4 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika, plus more for topping
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup low-sodium chicken or mushroom broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for topping
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook as the label directs, then drain.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, the chicken, flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken browns, about 3 minutes.

Add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a gentle simmer; cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Continue simmering gently until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 more minutes.

Divide the noodles among plates. Top with the chicken mixture, parsley, some sour cream and paprika.

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I wish this was my lunch! Love your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so tasty, great for using chicken too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo Sarah!! You got some food styling going on here!!! Adding this to my menu planner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight - so easy and really, really good! All three of us loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!