Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Sweet Corn Fettuccine

I love corn. I love pasta. I love bacon. When I saw them combined in this recipe for Summer Sweet Corn Fettuccine I was excited. I'd never seen corn and pasta together before but I was eager to try it.


I knew SP and I wouldn't like the red pepper in Cassie's recipe so when my friend Melissa mentioned this recipe for Fettuccini with Summer Corn, Bacon, and Shiitake Mushrooms I decided to combine the two, basically subbing the mushrooms for the red pepper.

I wanted to like this, I really did, but it suffered from a common problem in my house - whenever I cook pasta and mix it with the sauce before SP gets home from work the pasta immediately soaks up all the liquid and I'm stuck with dry pasta. I misjudged his arrival time and by the time I served up the pasta there was no sauce left. I need to remember to toss everything together at the last minute to avoid this problem in the future.



Summer Sweet Corn Fettucine
Adapted from Cassie Craves and Evil Chef Mom

Salt
1 pound fettuccine
6 slices bacon, chopped
6 ears corn on the cob, shucked
1 onion, finely chopped
12-oz mushrooms, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
A few dashes of hot sauce
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup sweet basil leaves, cut in a chiffonade

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for a few minutes until rendered and crisp.

Put a small bowl inverted into a large bowl, steady the corn cobs on the smaller bowl and cut the kernels off the ears. Add three-quarters of the scraped corn and any corn liquid to the pan with the bacon. Add the onions and mushrooms and liberally season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the remaining corn and half-and-half to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Pour the stock into the corn and vegetables and simmer over low heat for a minute to reduce. Stir in the thyme and corn-cream mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, to thicken. Add the hot sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add the pasta to the sauce just before serving and toss with Parmesan cheese. Top with basil and serve.
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the idea of adding mushrooms to this pasta. I'm definitely going to try that the next time I make it! And I can sympathize with your dry pasta issue -- the same thing has been known to happen in my house too. I always save a cup or so of the pasta water to add on those occasions, which helps to loosen up the sauce again. Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pasta Carbonara so I know this is going to be even better with the corn and mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my list of pastas to try. Can't wait to get some local corn and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to make this for supper tonight. Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie - The flavors were great, but I hate dry pasta. I'm going to try again.

    Terri - If you like asparagus try my recipe for Asparagus Carbonara. So good!!

    Katie - I love corn in the summer.

    Mrs.Pickles - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks delicious!!

    http://thelittleblackbookofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! I love the idea of corn in pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LJE - Thanks!

    Nicole - I wouldn't have thought to put corn in pasta but it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely presentation..... Looks delicious!! Thanks for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I have soo much extra corn right now i'm excited to use it up.

    Do you just use the corn you cut off or do you go back over trying to get other juices out of the cob as well? (Never cut corn of the cob before.) I believe i've seen Rachel Ray run the back of her knife over to get the extra out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steph - Yes, I go back over the cobs with the back of the knife to get the extra juice off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. buy rift platinum11:04 PM, July 31, 2011

    OMG! this looks definitely luscious.. wanna try this one..=0

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this tonight. At first I was pretty indifferent and felt it was lacking in flavor...it was so light. By the end of my pasta bowl I think the juices had started soaking into the pasta and I pretty much fell in love. I wanted to lick the bowl clean. Next time, I'll add half of a diced red bell pepper. Yum yum yum! Excited for the 3 leftover servings which I'll be eating for lunch :).

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!