Thursday, July 07, 2011

Smashed Sliders

These Smashed Sliders are another recipe from the most recent issue of Food Network Magazine. When I saw the photo of the burgers in the magazine I thought they looked just like a McDonald's hamburger with the ketchup, mustard, pickles and onion. I couldn't wait to see if these would be a healthier, tastier option.


They didn't disappoint. After my first bite I looked at SP and we both said, "These taste just like a McDonald's hamburger, only better." And they couldn't have been easier to make. Since I only made 12 burgers I was able to cook them all in one pan along with the onions. Prep time is minimal and cooking time is even less. I can't wait to make these again, only next time I'm adding cheese.



Smashed Sliders
Food Network Magazine

2 1/4 pounds 90% lean ground beef (such as sirloin)
1 large onion, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
36 slider buns, split
Dill pickle slices, ketchup and mustard, for topping

Form the meat into 36 golf ball-size balls. Pulse the onion in a food processor until finely chopped.

Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs to the skillet and smash them very flat with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the onion over the patties. Cook 1 minute, then flip and smash the burgers with the spatula again. Cook 1 more minute; place both halves of the buns on top of the patties to steam for the last few seconds of cooking.

Serve the burgers on the buns topped with pickles, ketchup and mustard.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Look at those cute lil things! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!