Monday, July 25, 2011

Restaurant Knockoff - Chicken Sandwich

Back when I was in high school and college I ate at Triumph Brewing Company quite a bit. They had this amazing chicken sandwich on their lunch menu that I was madly in love with. Grilled chicken marinated in lemon and herbs served on sourdough bread with lettuce, tomato, mayo, sliced red onion, roasted red pepper and melted mozzarella cheese. I ordered it every single time I ate there, it was just that good.


And then one day the sandwich was gone from their menu. I asked the waiter what had happened and he didn't know. I rarely eat at Triumph anymore but I periodically check their website to see if the sandwich has made a comeback since I know I'm not the only one who loved it (as evidenced by this conversation on Chowhound back in 2007). If anyone from Triumph happens to read this, please bring back this sandwich!

I don't know why it took me so long to attempt to recreate the sandwich at home. It's a chicken sandwich, afterall; not too difficult to make at home. I have to say, I'm really proud of how it came out. Unfortunately my loaf of sourdough wasn't as large as the bread Triumph used, making for a smaller sandwich, but the flavors were spot on.



Grilled Chicken Sandwich
A Taste of Home Cooking Knockoff from Triumph Brewing Company

2-3 chicken breasts, pounded thin
Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon dried herbs (mix of parsley, basil, Italian seasoning)
Loaf of sourdough bread
Mayo
Romaine lettuce
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, sliced
3 slices of roasted red pepper (from a large jar)
Thinly sliced red onion

Put chicken in a food storage bag (doubled up in case one leaks) and add a few splashes of olive oil, the lemon juice and herbs. Let marinate a few hours.

Cook chicken either in a pan or on the grill. If using a pan, once the chicken is cooked top it with one slice of roasted red pepper and slices of mozzarella. Cover and allow the mozzarella to melt.

To assemble the sandwich - cut sourdough into thick slices. Spread mayo on both slices of bread, then top one side with slices of red onion, lettuce and tomato. Place the chicken topped with the red pepper and mozzarella on the other side. Assemble sandwich and enjoy!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Gooey melty fresh mozzarella always makes my heart go pitter-patter. This sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casie - Thanks! I love melted mozzarella on just about anything. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!