Friday, July 29, 2011

Recipe Swap: Grilled Chicken and Potatoes with Roasted Garlic-Oregano Vinaigrette

Want to see what other Chicken recipes were made during the swap? Here is the link to the Chicken Part II Recipe Swap Roundup

I love chicken. It's tasty and versatile, but I'm always on the hunt for new ways to cook it. Once again I got my friend Jaida's recipe (Grilled Chicken and Potatoes with Roasted Garlic-Oregano Vinaigrette) and it was another winner. The vinaigrette elevates simple grilled chicken and potatoes to new heights.


I made the vinaigrette in the morning before work. Making the roasted garlic was easy - I wrapped the cloves of garlic in tinfoil and baked them at 400 for about 25 minutes until they were soft. I ended up adjusting the ratio of oil to vinegar because I like my vinaigrette tangy. It was easy to come home and prepare this meal, which is a huge plus in my book.


The original recipe called for fingerling potatoes, but I just sliced some scrubbed Yukon golds to resemble fingerlings instead of paying a premium for the cute little spuds. After parboiling them I finished them on the grill along with the chicken. Since our gas grill has been finicky lately and SP wasn't home to man the charcoal grill, I cooked the chicken and potatoes on my Griddler. It took much, much longer than it would have if I'd used gas or charcoal, so long that SP finally asked when the heck we were going to eat. So keep that in mind if you're using an indoor grill. I was happy that the potatoes got some grill marks on them, though:


The vinaigrette was so good that I even dipped the asparagus in the pool on my plate. The asparagus were simply roasted in the toaster oven with oil, salt and pepper. I'd have done them on the grill if I had room, but the chicken and potatoes had taken over both sides of the Griddler.

Grilled Chicken and Potatoes with Roasted Garlic-Oregano Vinaigrette
Modified from Sweet Beginnings

8 cloves garlic
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
12 fingerling potatoes, scrubbed (or 5 medium potatoes, cut into wedges)
Olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Freshly ground black pepper

Wrap garlic cloves in tinfoil and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, until soft. Allow to cool.

Combine garlic, vinegar, oregano, parsley, honey and salt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and process until emulsified. Stir in the red chili flakes.

Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until a paring knife inserted comes out with some resistance. Do not cook the potatoes all the way through because they will continue cooking on the grill. Drain well and toss with olive oil.

Heat the grill to medium-high heat.

Brush the chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred. Turn the chicken over and continue grilling until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. A few minutes before the chicken has finished cooking, place the potatoes on the grill, cut-side down and cook until lightly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn over and continue grilling about a minute longer.

Remove the chicken and potatoes to a platter and immediately drizzle with the roasted garlic-oregano vinaigrette.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!