Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Portobello Pizza Burgers

This recipe for Portobello Pizzas started life as a low-carb dish. So what did I do? I slapped it between two buns and made it...not low carb. Oops.

Untitled

The first night we ate these with a knife and fork and we were just meh about them. They weren't horrible but they just didn't do it for us. Not wanting to waste food, the next day I thought "how can I make these better" and instantly thought of a hamburger bun. The mushroom was the perfect size for the bun and after a quick spin in the mircowave and some new pepperoni slices (still getting the hang of my new broiler), lunch was served. And it was DELICIOUS. These were so awesome as a burger.

Untitled

I wonder if I can get my family to give them another try. I'll definitely keep these in mind the next time I need a quick lunch. And the best part is you can make them completely vegetarian by leaving off the pepperoni or you could add other toppings. Olives would be great. I was also thinking about Italian sausage. Finely chopped sauteed peppers and onions would be good as well.

Portobello Pizza Burgers
Adapted from Lauren's Latest

4 portobello mushroom caps
salt and pepper
pizza sauce
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
pepperoni slices
4 hamburger buns, toasted

Preheat indoor grill pan to medium heat and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Remove mushroom stems and wipe off mushroom caps with a damp cloth to remove any dirt. Lightly spray each mushroom cap with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Grill each mushroom for a few minutes per side until cooked through. Liquid will come out of the mushroom so be sure to pour it off before continuing with the next step. Remove the mushrooms to a baking sheet lined with foil.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce into each grilled mushroom cap. Top with cheese and pepperoni. Transfer to the oven and cook until the cheese melts. Place one mushroom on the bottom of each roll, add the tops and serve immediately.




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you think. Adding carbs is always a good idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sooooo good! :) So creative!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!