Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Chile Tortilla Eggbake

Sometimes I really like breakfast for dinner. I also like make-ahead meals that allow me to just pop a dish into the oven. I'm a big fan of stratas and this Chile Tortilla Eggbake sounded great.

chile tortilla egg bake

I had to modify the recipe slightly because my taco-size tortillas didn't cover the bottom of a 9x13 dish. I used a smaller dish and it was filled to the brim, which meant it took longer to cook, so I'd recommend sticking with the 9x13 and just using more tortillas. We all enjoyed this but I felt like it needed something. I think adding some breakfast sausage or cooked bacon to the egg mixture would be good.

Chile Tortilla Eggbake
As seen on Jenna’s Cooking Journey, originally from Spoonful

8-10 flour tortillas, soft-taco size
3-4 small cans of chopped green chiles, drained and rinsed in a sieve
1 pound grated Monterey Jack cheese
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or half as much table salt)

Toppings:
Pico de gallo
Sour cream
Guacamole

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.

Cover the bottom of the dish with tortillas, overlapping as little as possible. You can tear them in half, if needed. Top with 1/2 of the chiles and 1/3 of the cheese, then add another layer of tortillas and top it with the rest of the chiles and another 1/3 of the cheese. Add the final layer of tortillas, top with the remaining cheese. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl, then pour over the casserole.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 and take the casserole out of the fridge. Let it come to room temperature (about 2 hours). Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. It's done when it's browned around the edges and doesn't jiggle. Let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting it so that it has time to set up. A little bit of clear liquid that separates as you slice it is normal.

Serve topped with pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole or any other toppings you prefer.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!