Friday, February 15, 2013

Recipe Swap: Carnival-Style Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

The theme for this installment of the recipe swap was Special Occasion recipes. I lucked out with Carnival-Style Warm Chocolate Melting Cake from Kate's Recipe Box. I've been in a cooking rut lately so instead of cooking a special dinner on Valentine's Day we ordered sushi (yes!!) These gooey chocolate cakes sounded like the perfect ending to a delicious meal.

cake

Souffle or chocolate lava cake recipes tend to be cooked in a water bath, so I added that to the recipe below. I've also seen recipes that call for vanilla extract and thought that would be a nice touch (although I mistakenly added 1 tablespoon instead of 1/2 teaspoon, oops!) It's completely optional but adds a nice flavor to the cakes.

I wanted enough batter for 3 cakes so I upped some of the ingredients. I used two larger ramekins (7 ounces) and one smaller ramekin for Baby Girl.

Unfortunately SP was running late picking up dinner and these took twice as long to cook as the recipe stated, so I only had a little taste of the part of mine that was cooked. SP ate his after putting Baby Girl to bed and his was perfectly cooked and reheated well. What I ate tasted great so I need to try these again soon.


Carnival-Style Warm Chocolate Melting Cake
Slightly modified from Kate’s Recipe Box

1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Vanilla ice cream, for serving

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray two or three (depending on their size) ramekins with cooking spray. Place the ramekins in a 9×13 inch baking pan, and fill the pan with water until it surrounds the ramekins halfway up the sides.

In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and butter, stirring the mixture every 30 seconds, until the chocolate and butter are homogenous mixture. You can also do this step over a double-boiler.

In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together for about a minute, until well mixed. Add in the flour, salt and vanilla extract, if using, and mix together. Pour the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.

Once everything is mixed, divide the batter into the ramekins. Bake for 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of the ramekins, until the top top puffs but the center is not set.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Warm melty chocolate? OK! These sound great, and easy enough that I could make them. Hope you get to eat more of it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is right up my alley, I'm adding this to my recipe list. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious, perfect for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love small desserts like this. You can indulge without over doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband ate two of these a night on our cruise. I am storing this for a special occasion for him! These look so. good. He will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL a lot of melty chocolate cakes for this swap-your photo is so much better than mine but pretty similar recipies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. I love the gooey centers of these cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE their melting cake!!! This made my night! I have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!