Monday, January 07, 2013

Mexican Pizzas

I can't tell you the last time I ate at Taco Bell (or Taco Hell as the guys I used to work with called the place), but I vividly remember loving their Mexican pizza the one time I tried it. Angie recently posted a make-at-home version of the Mexican Pizzas and I couldn't wait to try them. I've been on such a crazy Mexican kick lately that I find myself adding something Mexican-inspired to every weekly menu.

Mexican Pizzas

These didn't disappoint. As always, I prepped everything during the day so all I had to do was assemble and bake. I made my own refried beans - I can never go back to the glop from a can now that I know how easy it is to make them at home - and ended up using smaller tortillas, which worked well because these are quite filling and delicious.

Mexican Pizzas
As seen on My Chicago Kitchen, adapted from Trader Joe's

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 recipe refried beans
8 taco size flour tortillas
1 cup chunky salsa, any heat level
2 cups Mexican cheese blend
2-3 green onions, sliced
2 Roma tomatoes, cored and diced
1/4 cup black olives, pitted and sliced

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef. Add onion and saute beef and onion together. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, and drain off fat. Set aside.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tortillas on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. When ready, top 4 tortillas with refried beans, followed by a layer of the beef mixture. Top with remaining four tortillas. Bake for 5-10 minutes.

Spread salsa over the tortillas. Top with cheese, green onions, tomatoes, and olives. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and begins to bubble. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Aren't they delicious? I'm always glad when someone else likes food I enjoy. Makes me feel like I'm not some weirdo with a strange palate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely not weird. Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  2. We love making Mexican pizzas at home! (and yes, I've been known to enjoy the Taco Bell ones as well :)) Yours look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had your Mexican pizzas for one of the recipe swaps awhile ago. They were great!

      Delete
  3. Yumm this Mexican pizza recipe seems nice!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!