Tomorrow I'll be bringing you a delicious soup recipe but today I have a question for my dear readers. Yesterday Baby Girl was officially diagnosed with an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. I've suspected she had an allergy since she was around 18 months and I first gave her some peanut butter on a slice of toast. She took one bite and refused to eat anymore and then I noticed a red rash around her mouth. After a call to her pediatrician I tried again in a few weeks with the same results. Since then I've avoided giving her nuts of any kind but we didn't read labels or carry any medication. I finally decided we needed answers after SP inadvertently gave her a bite of his almond croissant when we were out in CA a few weeks ago and she had a similar, albeit milder, reaction to the almonds.
I'll admit, I'm sad for her. I know food allergies are much more common these days. Heck, her daycare is nut-free due to other children with the same allergy. I can't help but feel responsible (is it something I did/didn't do while pregnant with her? should we have fed her differently in her early days?) and I'm also sad that she will never experience the joy of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or eating peanut butter straight from a jar. Most importantly, while her reactions to date have been very mild, every exposure can be life-threatening, which scares the beejesus out of me. Her allergist has called in a prescription for an epi-pen and we're to carry the pens and Benadryl with us at all times.
Here's where you come in - if any of my readers have any tips or tricks, websites, children's books, books for parents/caregivers or any other advice I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to leave me a comment here or email me. Thank you!