Friday, August 17, 2012

Tofu Parm with Spinach and Mushrooms


I have to say, I'm really starting to get into this whole vegetarian thing. Don't get me wrong, we aren't giving up meat entirely but I'm finding that I don't really miss it. We are eating mostly vegetarian meals during the week and tofu has become my new go-to. Not only is it cheap ($1.69 per block at my store), it's a blank canvas. I'm so happy my friend Mary Ellen has a variety of tofu recipes on her blog like this one for Tofu Parm with Spinach and Mushrooms. Otherwise I'd be stuck with stir-fries and that would get really old, really fast.

SP was a little skeptical of how healthy this is since I shallow-fried the tofu cubes in oil, but I figure the benefits of the tofu, mushrooms, spinach and homemade sauce helps to balance it out. Man, SP makes an incredible Sunday sauce, let me tell you. He simmered it all day and the house smelled amazing. I need to get him in the kitchen more often. This was a filling, delicious, flavorful meal that I can't wait to make it again. Even Baby Girl chowed down on the tofu (she skipped the spinach and mushrooms, oh well).

Tofu Parm with Spinach and Mushrooms
As seen on Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations

2 blocks extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
Canola oil
2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon each - salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, red pepper flakes
2 cups marinara
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bag baby spinach
12 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms

Cut the pressed and drained tofu into 24 squares (each block into 12 squares). Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add egg and water to one pie plate, breadcrumbs and seasonings to another. Dip tofu in egg, then coat in bread crumbs. Add tofu to the pan and fry until golden-brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.

Pour half of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish. Add tofu in a single layer, and top each piece with a bit of sauce and cheese.

Clean out the pan and add a touch more oil. Saute mushrooms 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle over tofu in baking dish. Saute the spinach until wilted. Spread over the tofu. Top everything with more cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until cheese melts.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow where do you get tofu for that price? Mine is $3.50 per block. Jealous! This looks wonderful. I've made tofu parmesan before but the addition of spinach and mushrooms look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cheap for Tofu, here in Denmark we pay a lot more :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to know where you get tofu that cheap!!! $2 is the cheapest I have found. Glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!