Friday, August 31, 2012

Roti de Porc au Lait


It's been awhile since I cooked pork. While we haven't gone completely vegetarian, we are eating way less meat these days. I wanted a little variety and Katie has had this Roti de Porc au Lait on her weekly menu a few times since she made it for one of the recipe swaps so I figured I needed to give it a try.

This was definitely a fall meal, what with the mashed potatoes and green beans alongside the pork. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought potatoes - I feel like it's been ages since we've eaten them. Baby Girl was thrilled to see them on our plates - she loves mashed potatoes. We both enjoyed the pork but the sauce, which Katie complained was too thin when she made it, was too thick. I wish it had been a little thinner so it could have soaked into the meat and potatoes.

I really enjoyed the cooking method of slowly simmering the meat in the milk sauce, but my sauce was starting to burn so I had to check on it often, making this less of a "set it and forget it" meal than I'd hoped. Still delicious, though.



Roti de Porc au Lait
From Anthony Bourdain, as seen on So Tasty, So Yummy

3 pound boneless pork loin roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups whole milk (important not to "skim" on this)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven. When the oil is hot, swirl in the butter. Brown the roast on all sides, 6 to 7 minutes total. Remove the roast from the pan and set aside on the large plate.

Add the onion, carrot, leek, and garlic and stir over high heat until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add milk, parsley, thyme and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.

Add the pork and any juices that have collected on the plate. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour, making sure to periodically rotate the pork (the sugars in the milk can cause sticking and scorching). Remove the pork and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf from the sauce. Using a hand blender, purée the sauce until foamy. Adjust the seasoning as needed. Carve the pork and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon the sauce over and serve immediately.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I think this was the recipe I submitted for the swap...yum! The sauce does look pretty thick- maybe a little extra milk or some chicken stock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I wonder why your sauce was so thick? Maybe I used 2% milk and didn't realize.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!