Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spicy Basil Chicken


In an effort to declutter our very tiny townhouse I've been going through old issues of cooking magazines and ripping out the pages with the recipes I want to make instead of saving the entire magazine. This recipe for Spicy Basil Chicken is one I wanted to make and then I saw it on Nicole's blog and again on Elly's blog and knew I needed to make it soon. We really enjoy stir fries, especially the ease of making them.


Since I knew Elly was planning to make it with sugar snap peas I decided to buy some at the store to serve alongside. Then she said she ended up throwing them into the stir fry and I thought that was a great idea. One less pan and a more interesting stir fry = a win. We enjoyed this dish, but both felt like it needed more than just the chicken and basil. I was glad Elly had mentioned the snap peas or this would have been a pretty boring stir fry. I think more veggies are a must, maybe some peppers or asparagus or even spinach.

Spicy Basil Chicken
Cooking Light, as seen on Elly Says Opa!

2 teaspoon canola oil
2 shallots, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon chile garlic sauce
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup basil leaves, sliced
8 oz sugar snap peas, sliced
Optional - additional veggies like carrots, peppers, asparagus, etc.
1 1/2 cups, dry rice, cooked according to package directions

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chicken to pan; cook 13 minutes or until chicken is done.

Whisk fish sauce and the next 6 ingredients (through cornstarch) together in a small bowl. Add sugar snap peas and any additional veggies to the pan. Allow to cook until tender then add fish sauce mixture to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring to coat chicken. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Serve with rice.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ladies have tweaked this! The snap peas (and peppers!) look and sound great...can't wait to make it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Nicole's blog too - love it! :D

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!