Thursday, June 21, 2012

Breakfast Tacos

These Breakfast Tacos were supposed to be dinner last Friday, but by the time Thursday rolled around I only had 3 eggs in the fridge and a jam-packed day on Friday that involved 2 hours in the car. I'm not sure why I meal plan for Fridays anymore. More often than not we end up going out or making something simple. Fridays are fun days, a day to celebrate the end of another work week. So what did I do? I made these for breakfast. Score another one for working from home.


My tortillas were a bit too large for tacos, so I modified these into breakfast burritos. Since I was making just one burrito for myself I scrambled up two eggs (which ended up being too much for my tortilla to hold, but I don't mind an overstuffed burrito), nuked one of the cooked breakfast sausage links we keep in the freezer and heated up a handful of tater tots in my toaster oven. As an aside, I don't know what I'd do without my toaster oven. I love having a mini oven to do everything from toasting bread to pine nuts to roasting garlic. Not having to turn on the big oven all the time is awesome.

Anyway, back to the burritos. This was excellent. I love hand-held breakfasts and this was fast and easy to make. I kept the filling simple with just the salsa Cassie mentions and I dipped the burrito in some sour cream as I ate, but the filling possibilities are endless. The addition of the tater tots really made it for me. I love potatoes with my breakfast and these little bite-size nuggets of crispy potato goodness really hit the spot.

Thanks for another winner, Cassie!

Breakfast Tacos
As Seen on Cassie Craves

1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
6 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
Tater tots, prepared according to package directions
Taco-size flour tortillas
Salsa and sour cream for serving

Cook the sausage in a large skillet, using a wooden spoon to break it up into chunks, until sausage is browned and cook through. Remove to paper towels to drain.

Meanwhile, scramble the eggs and season them with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat in a large skillet until they’re softly scrambled. Stir in cheese and remove from heat.

Assemble the tacos by topping each flour tortilla with some of the eggs and sausage, a few tater tots, and salsa and sour cream.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, yours look delicious. I agree that it's the tater tots that totally take them over the top! Now I really want to make these again...I think I'll put them on the menu next week. I'm glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looove breakfast burritos. And I know what you mean about Friday - so often now I end up throwing together the simplest stuff ever or we go down the street to our favorite Tex Mex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tater tots in a breakfast taco? Now that is a breakfast! :) Kid and hubby-approved, too!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!