Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Lemon-Garlic Linguine with Mascarpone and Shrimp


I love shrimp and I love pasta, so as soon as I saw Josie post this recipe for Lemon-Garlic Linguine with Mascarpone and Shrimp I knew I had to make it. I had it on the menu for a recent Friday but it got bumped because I'd had a hellish week and needed to get out of the house. I finally made it for Sunday dinner and boy, was it good.

The original recipe calls for cooking the shrimp in the pan but SP wanted to grill and I figured the added flavor would be great. Unfortunately the shrimp aren't on the grill long enough to get any of that delicious charcoal flavor, so it was an unnecessary step. I doubled the recipe so we'd have leftovers (plus I splurged and bought the real-deal mascarpone and it came in an 8-oz container). I should have taken my own advice and left out the red pepper flakes, but I was just blindly following the recipe and forgot to omit them, so this was spicy when all I wanted was creamy goodness. That didn't stop me from inhaling my portion.


I'm still trying to get Baby Girl to try shrimp. I know she'd love them but so far all I've gotten her to do is stick a piece in her mouth and then spit it out. We're working on it.

Lemon-Garlic Linguine with Mascarpone and Shrimp
Pink Parsley

Kosher salt
8 oz dried linguine
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced into rings
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Lemon slices, for serving

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Add the linguine and cook until just al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

Meanwhile, pat the shrimp dry and toss with half the lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.

In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter until the foaming subsides. Add the shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring continuously, until the garlic is just turning brown, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook about 90 seconds on one side. Turn the shrimp, reduce the heat to medium, and add the white wine and half the lemon juice.

Bring to a boil and cook about 1 minute. Add the mascarpone, reserved pasta water, and linguine, and toss to coat. Cook an addtional 1-2 minutes, or until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has thickened. Mix in the remaining lemon zest and juice, and the chives. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary, and serve immediately with lemon slices.
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!!! I could use some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome. I am a normal seafood hater but coming to LOVE shrimp! I will need to have hubby try this as he is seafood cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, shrimp are AWESOME! I hope you guys like it.

      Delete
  3. You're killin' me with all these delicious recipes! How am I ever going to find the time to make them all?? :) This looks/sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking with mascarpone! Can't wait to make this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does mascarpone not make everything better? Mmm! :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my daughter was little, I would by baby shrimp, also known as salad shrimp. It's super tiny, fully cooked, and I would quickly saute it up in a touch of butter and garlic. Her tiny hands would eat them one by one.

    Now she's 20 and won't touch them. Well, unless they are wrapped in shredded coconut and deep fat fried!

    And I'll take any crushed red pepper you don't want. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your shrimp story! Too funny. I'll have to try the baby shrimp sometime. I want to buy those anyway to make shrimp burgers because the thought of mincing nice, big, beautiful shrimp seems wrong somehow. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!