Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Tortellini Soup with Chunky Tomatoes and Spinach

I have a confession to make - I'm not a big fan of soup. In truth I just don't like hot liquids. I don't drink coffee, tea or hot chocolate and I don't like soup. I blame my dad, who's the same way. But SP really likes soup and in an effort to make him happy (and expand my horizons a bit) I put this Tortellini Soup with Chunky Tomatoes and Spinach on the menu recently. I have to admit, it smelled wonderful as it cooked, but I also love the smell of brewing coffee but I still don't drink it.


Thankfully, this soup tasted just as good as it smelled. I served it with Garlic Cheddar Biscuits and side salads.

Even though I used 6 cups of broth the soup was still mostly veggies and tortellini, so next time I'd use a full 8 cups. The next day Baby Girl ate the tortellini and some of the broth and veggies for dinner.

Tortellini Soup with Chunky Tomatoes and Spinach
Slightly Modified from Alida's Kitchen

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium diced tomatoes, including juices
1-lb tortellini (fresh or frozen), any variety
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
2 bags baby spinach
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese

In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic, and saute for 1 minute. Add broth and tomatoes. Turn heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions.

Within the last minute of cooking the tortellini, stir in Italian herb seasoning and spinach. Taste, and add salt and pepper seasoning, as desired. Serve immediately, garnishing each bowl with Parmesan cheese.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I happen to love soup, and this looks so delicious! I hope to make it soon. I just bought some mushroom tortellini and I'm thinking they would work nicely in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny...I like this soup, but am otherwise not a soup person either. I also made it to expand my horizons and because my husband loves soup! :) Your picture is making me want to make it again. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I lovve this recipe! All the flavors and ingredients are great! Thanks for supplying me with a go-to plan for the next chilly day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't like soup?! How did I not know this? S'rong with you? (said in Cleveland from Family Guy voice). :P

    Seriously though, all soup-loving bias aside, this one is way up my alley. Glad you enjoyed it, hot liquid and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ammie - Mushroom tortellini would be great in this soup. Enjoy!

    Alida - Thanks! And thank you for the recipe. :)

    Gina - You're welcome!

    Melissa - I know, right? I love your broccoli soup, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!