Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Potato Salad

My mom invited us to a Labor Day cookout after we got back from vacation and asked me to bring potato salad. I didn't feel up to making my usual All-American Potato Salad, so I went online for inspiration and found this recipe for Potato Salad.


I left out the bacon, upped the vinegar for some extra tang and used the method I learned from the All-American Potato Salad to soak the warm potatoes in the vinegar so they absorb the flavor. It was absolutely delicious and easy to make. This one is definitely going in my rotation.

Potato Salad
Inspired by The Cutting Edge of Ordinary

2 1/2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed, skin-on, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 sprigs of thyme
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup pickle juice
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Place a vegetable steamer in a large pot. Fill with water just until it reaches the bottom of the steamer. Place the potatoes on top of the steamer and cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily into them. Drain and put on a baking sheet in a single layer. Add the pickle juice and vinegar and toss to coat the potatoes. Put the baking sheet into the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.

In a medium size bowl mix the mayo, sour cream, mustards, hardboiled eggs, thyme, scallions, salt and pepper. You can even make this a day before to really let the flavors infuse.

Once the potatoes are cool, stir them into the mayo mixture and stir gently. Refrigerate until cold.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!