Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream Sauce

I love shrimp but I feel like I make the same recipes over and over again. I went searching through my recipe file for something new and came across this recipe for Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream Sauce. I also Googled it to see what other food bloggers thought and it received nothing but rave reviews.


I think a full pound of pasta is a little too much for this recipe and would cut it in half next time. The sauce was creamy and flavorful from the herbs. Even Baby Girl loved this, although she wasn't interested in the shrimp. Silly girl.

Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream Sauce
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis

1/2 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, and deveined
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup white wine
1/3 cup clam juice
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the shrimp turn pink and is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp and set aside.

Add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil, 1/4 cup parsley, and the red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine, clam juice, and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the cooked shrimp, the cooked pasta, and the remaining herbs. Toss together until all ingredients are coated. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve immediately.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, my husband won't eat seafood, but he is out of town this weekend on a fishing trip (ironic, no?) so I am going to try it. Could I substitute shrimp stock for clam juice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - Absolutely. I actually upped the wine instead of using clam juice because I didn't have any on hand. Enjoy! And yes, I'm laughing that he's fishing even though he doesn't like seafood.

    Aimee - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I feel like I do the same thing with shrimp all the time too. This would be a nice change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem... we always go back to the same recipes. This looks great, putting on our must try list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!