Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spaghetti with Sausage, Kalamata Olives and Capers

This recipe for Spaghetti with Kalamata Olives and Capers is from the very first recipe swap I did on my cooking board. Brianna was assigned this recipe and as soon as she posted he review I couldn't wait to try it. I put it on the menu after picking up a pint of olives at the local farmers market recently.


I really enjoyed this dish. I didn't realize it at the time but I took Brianna's suggestion of using more tomatoes for 4 portions. We had two jars of tomatoes in the pantry that my mom and I canned a few summers ago that needed to be used up, so I dumped both in the pan. There was just the right amount of sauce, which had a great salty bite from the capers, feta and olives and a kick from the spicy sausage. I left out the honey/agave nectar because I didn't want to temper those flavors.

Spaghetti with Sausage, Kalamata Olives & Capers
Slightly modified from Oishii Food

1 lb spaghetti
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano (fresh or dried)
1 teaspoon basil (fresh or dried)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage, sliced into coins
1/4 cup pitted kalamata, halved
2 tablespoons capers
Feta cheese

Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Fry the sliced sausage until cooked through and nice and golden on both sides. Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes and sauté for about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well, cover, and let simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the kalamata olives and the capers. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in boiling, salted water until al dente, according to package instructions.

Drain the spaghetti and add to the sauce. Toss to coat. Add the crumbled feta on top and serve.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! I can't wait to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks yummy, although I usually do not include olives in dishes I consume. But I think this one might make me change that policy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing!!!!!!!!

    Erryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole - Thanks!

    Pam - If you liked olives you'll love this.

    Erryn - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made this a few times and is always good. Today I forgot to buy feta but have some asagio that will do the trick for now.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!