Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicago - Day 2, Part 1: Lunch at Frontera Grill

On Saturday we met up with my friend J and her husband P for lunch. SP has always wanted to try a Rick Bayless restaurant so we chose Frontera Grill. Even though we went early the wait for the dining room was still an hour and a half, but we snagged a table in the bar. We decided to share two appetizers, the Sopes Rancheros:


... crispy corn masa boats with savory shredded beef, roasted tomatoes, avocado and homemade fresh cheese, and the homemade guacamole:


... served with tortilla chips. We were also served two kinds of salsa:


I particularly liked the green one, although I have no idea what was in either. For my lunch I ordered Tacos al Carbon with Organic Gunthorp chicken breast marinated with fruit vinegar, spices and garlic:


... served with roasted pepper rajas, two salsas, frijoles charros, guacamole and homemade tortillas. SP got the same thing only with red chile-marinated Maple Creek pork (pastor style):


Mine came with soupier beans while SP's came with black beans. I preferred my beans and wish I'd had more room to finish them. We really enjoyed Frontera Grill and it was great to see J & P.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. You went to Chicago, but didn't stop by to see us? Ugh.

    How Rude!


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Frontera wonderful! Glad to see you had some delicious eats!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!