Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunday Dinner

On Sunday, after a full day of canning tomatoes, my mom, stepdad and I whipped up a nice dinner. SP and my stepgrandmother came over as well and we all feasted on mozzarella, tomato and basil:


... a quick corn salad I threw together using the leftover corn from Saturday and whatever my mom had on hand:


... a few half-sour pickles SP brought from our stash at home (the ones I got at the farmer's market near my office):


We also had lobster rolls:


... made with rich, lucious lobster meat and a little mayo to hold it together. They were served in buttered and grilled split-top rolls. We also had fresh pork roll and summer sausages, along with more sliders. Over dinner the night before my stepdad mentioned enjoying the cooked onion they serve on White Castle burgers, so we decided to make our own version:


I finely minced some onion and cooked it low and slow, then once the mini burgers came off the grill I topped each with a little of the onion:


They were really tasty! My family is really loving the mini burger these days. My plate, with two sliders, a lobster roll, pickle, corn salad and mozzarella, tomato and basil:


After all that yummy food I didn't think I'd have room for dessert, but my parents had a ton of beautifully ripe, fresh peaches just begging to be eaten. My mom mixed the cut peaches with a little orange juice and brown sugar, then I cooked them in a pan with a little butter so the sugar and juice formed a thick syrup. We served the hot peaches with vanilla ice cream:


... for a semi-healthy, absolutely delicious summer dessert.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful feast!!!! Everything looks fantastic! The arugula and corn salad, especially!

    comforttable.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchenbelle - Thank you! It was quite the feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spread! Your caprese looks so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous of everything I see!! You know I would devour that caprese myself, but what I really want are those lobster rolls. Lordy. Need to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ally - It was a veritable feast! The caprese was especially yummy and colorful.

    Melissa - The lobster rolls were amazing. Totally rich and indulgant, but so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible meal! I'm going to have to try those little sliders, but your rolls really make it special. I'll have to keep my eye out for those.

    I tried your Corn and Avocado salad and we loved it. I blogged about it too! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara - The rolls in this meal were even smaller then the rolls we usually use. I think they were called party rolls. Martin's (the potato bread people) make them.

    I just read your post about the corn salad. I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I come over next time? lol...

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!